- 11 December 2018
- 3 min read
How to register and practice as a UK doctor if you're applying from overseas
The UK is welcoming to Doctors with all levels of experience. Here's what you need to know about registering as a Doctor here in the UK.
Whether you're looking to work as a doctor in a GP surgery or within a hospital environment, there's some important information you need to know first if you're a doctor from overseas.
Anyone wishing to practice as a doctor in the UK must be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC), and hold a licence to practice.
Doctors who are qualified but not practising medicine, or who practise overseas can choose to hold registration without a licence to show they continue to be in good standing.
As long as keep your registration active you are able to legally work as a doctor in the UK.
Registering with the GMC
If you wish to apply for registration to the GMC, then here's the process:
• Read the guidance on the GMC website
• Apply for registration online
• You'll receive an email with information that you'll have to provide in order to be eligible
• The documents will be received and checked
• If further information is required, you will be sent an email to say what else you need to provide
• Your application will now be complete
• So, you'll have to attend an ID check
• You have to make sure this is done within 3 months of invitation of ID check, otherwise your application will be closed and you'll have to go through the process again
• Registration is granted if the correct information is disclosed at the ID check!
The GMC will make a judgement on your qualifications. If you qualified outside of the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you should be prepared to undertake a Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) assessment to determine that your command of English meets the required standard.
Most doctor jobs are within the public sector (NHS), however there are also opportunities to work within the private sector, too.
Create your account
You should create an account here on Healthjobs.co.uk.
We will help you build a CV as part of that process.
This will get you ready to start searching for jobs.
Set up Jobs by email
Once you've created your account, you'll see that you can set up a Job Alert Email.
Choose the sectors that match your career experience, plus your location.
We'll start sending you matching jobs today!
Start browsing jobs
Search for jobs by clicking below.
When you find a job you want to apply for it will take seconds because you have an account created already.