A new and exciting opportunity has become available for an Associate Specialist / Specialty Doctor to join Meridian Ward at Cygnet Hospital Blackheath. The successful candidate will join 2 other Specialty Doctors and 2 Consultant Psychiatrists at both Blackheath and Lewisham Lodge, who offer a range of secure and rehabilitation mental health services for men.
Meridian Unit is a low secure service which can support up to 16 men. It aims to balance the needs of therapy and security whilst helping prepare service users to lead full and independent lives in the community.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with and support the Meridian Consultant Psychiatrist in their role overseeing up to 16 patients across the ward. The Associate Specialist will have a pivotal role in maintaining a full time medical presence on the unit and offering support to other members of the multi-disciplinary team as required.
You will have the opportunity to assess new patients and provide reports of their presentation and suitability for placement within our service. Overall, you will manage the mental health needs of patients as per care plans and clinical needs. You will be required to attend various MDT forums including a daily handover and management round, Integrated Governance and incident learning meetings and clinical risk review meetings in addition to a weekly ward round and service user forums such as CPA.
The Associate Specialist is also involved in the education and audit programme and would be involved in delivering some teaching sessions and audit presentations for CPD purposes to both staff and service users. Meridian ward has an emphasis on MDT working and the therapy programme involves all members of the team to deliver sessions.
The Associate specialist will participate in the on-call rota – 1 evening/night per week and one weekend in 4 to include a combination of telephone advice and visits to the service some nights, depending on the needs of patients admitted at the time.
Are you the successful candidate we are looking for?
- GMC Registration
- Post-graduation experience in mental health including psychiatric in-patient settings (consistent with at least ST2/CT2 competencies in psychiatry)
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- In-depth knowledge of Mental Health Legislation
- Proven record of Continued Professional Development (CPD)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Section 12 approval or eligibility for Section 12 approval and a willingness to become approved
- MRC Psych Part 1 or Part II is desirable
In return, we will offer
- Salary: up to £90,000
- The ability to work alongside an onsite established multi-disciplinary team on the ward which consists of a; Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist, Psychologist and Psychology Assistant, Occupational Therapist and Occupational Therapy Assistant, Social Worker, in addition to an experienced nursing team.
- Pension scheme
- Generous annual leave entitlement which includes birthday and anniversary leave on the completion of your probation period.
- CPD support and study leave
- Opportunity to undertake further learning and development
- Medical indemnity cover
At Cygnet Health Care you’ll have the chance to make a real impact on patients and their families. We have built a reputation for delivering pioneering services and outstanding outcomes for the people in our care. Our expert and highly dedicated care enables 2200 individuals across 108 services to consistently make a positive difference to their lives, through service-user focused care and rehabilitation.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS and reference check and an offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance.
Are you looking for a new challenge where you can make a positive difference?
Click the link to apply.
*Please note - speculative recruitment emails are not to be sent directly to our clinical staff, these need to go via our internal recruitment team. If speculative candidates are sent directly to a member of the clinical team, we will consider these candidates as our own.*