Healthcare Support Worker - Theatres
Bristol, City of Bristol, England
- Full time
- Job level
- Admin - Sales - Clerical
- 3 Dec 2019
- 2 Jan 2020
Senior Healthcare Support Workers required by one of the UK’s largest NHS Hospital Trusts. Based at Southmead Hospital with a basic salary of up to £13,896-£19,852 + excellent NHS benefits, you will be responsible for providing compassionate care and therapy to patients as delegated by the registered practitioner and directed by the appropriate team leader.
North Bristol NHS Trust is committed to offering excellent career development through our tailored education pathways. If you are interested in a career as a senior healthcare support worker, we can offer you a training contract dependent on your educational requirements, which will be assessed during your induction with the Trust. Our education pathway is an apprenticeship which will typically start from 18 months duration, depending on your working pattern and level of study.
The apprenticeship will consist of 4 elements:
- Functional Skills (Maths and English) – if required
- Job specific training (both in the workplace and in the classroom)
- End Point Assessment
At the end of this education pathway, you will achieve a level 3 Apprenticeship in Senior Healthcare Support Worker. The apprenticeship starting salary is £13,896 for the first 6 months, increasing to £14,889 for the remainder of the training contract, and the starting salary for the fully qualified post is £16,968 - £19,852. Apprentices will progress to the fully qualified salary upon completion of their education pathway. If you hold the relevant qualification for this post, you will move straight to a fully qualified post salary. Please note, if you are currently in a band 2 position, you will remain on your current band 2 salary until you have completed the relevant training to the role.
We are one of the UK's largest NHS Trusts (£550m turnover and 7000+ staff) and we are committed to developing our staff, ensuring they become successful, competent and confident members of the organisation.
We have roles for Band 3 SHSW s in the operating theatres, where you will support other members of the team, such as scrub practitioners, anaesthetic assistants,surgeons and anaesthetists. You will be working in state of the art operating theatres and will participate in providing a range of pioneering surgery. Although you will be working in a technical environment, good patient care is of utmost importance and you will be directly involved in the care of the patient whilst they are undergoing their operation.
The Role will include:
- Communicating with the whole theatre team including participating in team safety briefs
- Ensuring good infection control procedures are being followed
- Preparing the theatres before procedures, cleaning the theatres between procedures and at the end of the day
- Understanding the equipment that is being used and being able to position and check it correctly
- Collecting instruments that will be used during surgery and checking disposable items with a registered practitioner
- Assisting the scrub practitioner to prepare the instruments ready for surgery including taking part in essential safety checks
- Helping with the safe collection and dispatch of clinical specimens
- Assisting with patient documentation including computer records
- Participating in all aspects of the patient’s care such as correctly positioning them for surgery, maintaining their privacy and dignity, keeping them warm and safe during surgery
- Sitting and talking with patients who are undergoing procedures under local anaesthetic as a way of supporting and reassuring them
- Helping ensure that patient safety is at the heart of all we do in theatres
YOU:The successful Senior Healthcare Support Worker will have:
- Experience working in a health care environment
- A desire to learn and undertake relevant personal development, including the level 3 qualification
- IT skills, including Word, Email, keyboard skills and data collection
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of working in a team and an ability to establish good relationships with colleagues, patients and visitors
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 21st January 2020.
For further details / informal visits contact:
Recruitment, Retention & Wellbeing Matron
If you apply for this vacancy and have not received a communication from this Trust within three weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has been uns
This job was posted to Healthcare assistant in Bristol, City of Bristol, England
Recommended Similar Jobs
Full timeBankBristol, City of Bristol, England
Larch is a step -down Re-ablement and Recovery Unit. We accept service users from the acute wards in Bristol, South Gloucestershire...
Full timeBankWeston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England
Juniper Ward is a mixed sex 18 bed acute admission ward for adults in a mental health crisis in Weston Super Mare who require short...