Senior Clinical Advisor (Nurse/Paramedic)
York, North Yorkshire, England
- £ 30,401 - 37,267 Per year
- Full time
- Job level
- Qualified (non-manager), Deputy Manager / Senior Staff
- 17 Jan 2020
- 7 May 2020
You know the guy in your local shop?
You see him every day.
Imagine him having a heart attack.
Hard isn’t it. But it’s what you have to be able to do here to really help our patients. Because the reality is, we deal with all kinds of difficult situations every day. We take calls from people in distressing situations and get them the help they need – whether that’s booking them an appointment to see their GP, closing the call with home care advice or, in some cases, getting an ambulance out to them immediately.
It’s a job that requires us to be three things above all. Caring, fast-acting and resilient. Makes sense, right? We care because we’re able to see the situations people are in and we’re able to empathise and put ourselves in their shoes. How would we want the person on the end of the phone to act?
Well, that’s how we act. Fast, in other words. Because we know how important it is that people get the help they need urgently. They called us because they’re worried, so we have to do all we can to settle their fears quickly.
Finally, we have to be resilient because, if we weren’t, some of the situations we encounter might just be too much for us. This is a job for people who can bounce right back.
• The ability to listen and quickly understand what’s happening
• The empathy to be able to talk to the person in the way that will best help them
• The kind of clinical assessment skills that will enable you to cut through simply what’s been said and understand what’s really happening
• A level of calm that enables you to deal with even the most distressing situations quickly and without hesitation
It’s a role that stretches our clinical assessment skills to the max. Providing people with the right care, quickly. But it’s a role that leaves us at the end of a shift feeling like we’ve done something worthwhile. Something that benefits the world and benefits our need to contribute in a positive way.
It doesn’t get much better than that, does it?
Ref: 174-IUC-EOC-SCA-251019 / York Paramedic