Senior Biomedical Scientist - Pathology Genetics
Our client is an ultramodern, all-digital academic medical centre specialising in the provision of care for women and children. Based in Qatar, our client will focus on world-class patient care, medical education and biomedical research.
We are recruiting for a Senior Biomedical Scientist to work within Pathology Genetics.
The Senior Biomedical Scientist will assists in the commissioning of the relevant sections. This involves the commissioning of equipment, IT systems, recruitment, on-boarding and training of staff, preparing policies and procedures in accordance with CAP-ISO15189 and JCI. The incumbent is part of a team of Biomedical Scientists delivering high quality services in their speciality and has operational oversight of a team within the department. He/ She provides professional support in the area of speciality to the Chief Biomedical Scientist.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Organises, supervises and participates in the work of the section
- Actively supervises other BMS staff within their section to ensure an efficient throughput of work
- Assists the Supervisor in the implementation of management decisions affecting the sections
- Maintains co-operation between the sections and between disciplines by regular communication with other section leads and senior staff
- Leads by good example in order to motivate staff to create high quality work, interest and contribution
- Actively participates in the technical work of the section
- In liaison with the Supervisor, ensures adequate stocks of reagents and consumables are available for the efficient running of the service
- Uses LIS to generate workload statistics and run queries
- Answers enquiries and communicates patient results to clinicians, surgeons and nursing staff both internally and externally
- In liaison with the Supervisor, provides technical advice on, and assists in the selection of, new equipment
- Monitors and advises on the use of reagents and consumables in the section
- Takes responsibility for the maintenance and safe use of equipment within the section
- Helps to ensure the provision of a high quality, cost-effective service with the emphasis on quality assurance in all aspects of the section supervised by monitoring and audit of internal quality control
- Participates in the external quality assurance schemes that the department subscribes to. Monitors, records and reports back results, participating in discussion to rectify areas of concern if necessary
- Carries out corrective action when the quality control procedures fail
- Assists in ensuring and maintaining CPA-ISO15189 standards in the section
- Ensures policies and procedures for the sections are adhered to
- Participates in the training (theoretical and practical) of technical staff in the section for which they are responsible in methodologies, principles and procedures by way of tutorials, presentations and seminars
- Updates, reviews and implements new methodologies in the section under the direction of the Supervisor
- Participates in research and development as directed by the Supervisor
A full job description is available upon request.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Sciences/Clinical Laboratories or other relevant program
- 5+ years relevant experience in a North American Academic Institution or equivalent in the UK, Republic of Ireland, EU States, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand
- Experience in LIS operations
- Specialty (ASCP) or FIBMS (UK) or equivalent
- Knowledge of ISO 15189/UKAS/CAP/JCI standards and guidelines
- Experience in team management
- Experience in evaluating new technologies
- Demonstrated ability in conducting meetings and making presentations
- Excellent communications skills both written and oral
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Benefits- Highly competitive package including a Tax free salary in Qatar + benefits. Full details of the package will be discussed directly.
Please note the targeted start date for the position is dependent on the current timeline for the project. Likewise, the processing of licensing (if applicable)/ visas etc. also need to be considered. We will advise candidates specifically when we discuss the opportunity.
- Full time
- Job Level
- Qualified (non-manager)
Posted 21 Nov 2016
Closes 19 Dec 2016
This job was posted to: Biomedical