Senior Child Life Specialist
Our client is an ultramodern, all-digital academic medical centre specialising in the provision of care for women and children. Based in Qatar, our client will focus on world-class patient care, medical education and biomedical research.
We are recruiting for a Senior Child Life Specialist.
The Child Life Specialist II, under minimal supervision, develops, coordinates and implements therapeutic, educational, and recreational child life interventions and programs for patients based on an understanding of normal growth and development and the impact that illness, injury, disability, and hospitalization have on this process. The Child Life Specialist II serves as an active mentor to junior staff and students and creates and evaluates formal and informal learning opportunities. Pre-operationally he/ she participates in all activities contributing to the development of the Child Life services including but not limited to: Child Life Information system build, formulation of policies and procedures relating to Child Life services both as a department and in collaboration with clinical programs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- With expert practice, assesses and prioritizes patient and family potential risk for stress with consideration for the unique needs of the individual and family, including coping style, previous experience, developmental level, culture, spirituality, family situation and emotional state
- Utilizes knowledge of child development (neonate to adolescent) and family-centered care to design and implement child life interventions including age appropriate preparation and education, procedural support, and a range of therapeutic, expressive, and normalizing play experiences
- Initiates, establishes and maintains therapeutic relationships and rapport with children and families in a high-paced acute clinical setting and paces interventions as needed
- Introduces and facilitates rehearsal of techniques to aid child and family immediate and long-term coping, with illness, hospitalization, and related treatments
- Functions as an active member of the health care team and serves as a resource for child-focused and family-centered approaches to care; providing in-services and support as needed
- Promotes a positive work environment as evidenced by working collaboratively and demonstrating a professional, supportive attitude towards others, being receptive and responsive to new ideas and flexible to changing systems
- Seeks out, synthesizes and applies current related research to ensure standards of evidence based practice are achieved and maintained
- Bachelor's Degree in Child Life, Child Development, or related field; Foundational courses in Hospital Play
- 5 years relevant clinical experience
- Strong clinical expertise across the competencies of the Child Life profession
- Experience in Child Life/ Hospital Play department leadership/ supervisory roles/ responsibilities
- Child Life Specialist Certification via the Child Life Council, Inc. or Registration as Hospital Play Specialist via home country's registration system
- Member of the Child Life Council, Inc., National Association for Health Play Specialist (UK), and/ or Hospital Play Specialist Association (NZ)
- Demonstrates knowledge of best practices in Child Life specialty
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills, as well as an ability to communicate effectively within a team, across disciplines, and with patients and families
- Effective teaching, mentoring, and supervisory skills
- Experience in organizing data and generating thorough, accurate, timely reports
- Experience with Clinical Information systems
- Ability to provide assessments regarding developmental reactions to hospitalization and risk for stress potential
- Ability to design and implement interventions to meet individual patient and family needs
Qualifications/ Specialisation - as per the client's requirements.
A full job description available upon request.
Benefits- Highly competitive package including a Tax free salary + benefits. Full details of the package will be discussed directly.
Please note the targeted start date for the position is dependent on the current timeline for the project. Likewise, the processing of licensing (if applicable)/ visas etc. also need to be considered. We will advise candidates specifically when we discuss the opportunity.
- Full time
- Job Level
- Qualified (non-manager)
Posted 21 Nov 2016
Closes 19 Dec 2016
This job was posted to: Occupational therapist, Psychology