Child Life Specialist
Our client is an ultramodern, all-digital academic medical centre specialising in the provision of care for women and children. Based in Qatar, our client will focus on world-class patient care, medical education and biomedical research.
We are recruiting for a Child Life Specialist.
Under the supervision of the Supervisor - Child Life Services, the Child life Specialist I is responsible for competently providing safe and effective Child Life support to Women, Children and Families within the Sidra Medical and Research Center. The postholder assesses child life needs, plans, and implements and evaluates interventions working autonomously. The Child life Specialist I works in collaboration with other members of the health care team and strives to provide evidence-based care by integrating research with practice; promotes continuous improvement and helps to generate innovative ideas within child life specialty practice; maintains a commitment to life-long learning and creates, utilizes and/or disseminates new knowledge to patients and their families, the public and other internal /external health professionals. The Child Life Specialist I is responsible for ensuring that all duties are carried out to the highest possible standard. The Child Life Specialist I assists in the provision of specialized teaching and supervision of peers and junior staff on wide range of subjects within the clinical field.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the provision of total individualized patient care as assigned according to the core standards of patient care and established policies and evidence based practices
- Assesses and prioritizes patient and family potential risk for stress with consideration for the unique needs of the individual and family, including coping style, previous experience, developmental level, culture, spirituality, family situation and emotional state
- Utilizes knowledge of child development (neonate to adolescent) and family-centered care to design and implement child life interventions including age appropriate preparation and education, procedural support, and a range of therapeutic, expressive, and normalizing play experiences
- Assumes delegated accountability for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating child life needs as well as discharge planning for each patient, assessing for current and potential problems
- Contributes to decreasing the length of stay/ waiting time as per unit specific goal. Works in collaboration with Case Management to achieve goals
- Documents all relevant information correctly, appropriately and in a timely manner
- Identifies and alerts members of the medical team to changes in medical status of the patient
- Identifies impairments and refer to other medical specialties when necessary
- Liaises with the appropriate psycho social services in the community and provides transfer/discharge information
- Participates in the education of the patient/family and other members of the health care team regarding the Child Life services care plan
- Provides consultation to patients/ families, staff, community agencies and satellite centers as required by the Child Life Supervisor
- Participates in community outreach activities e.g. school-based programs, home care
- Identifies child life research opportunities and participates in and/or develop and promote research
- Reports equipment failures, safety and security issues, and/or reduction of supply inventory to Child Life Services Supervisor or designee
- Bachelor's Degree in Child Life, Child Development, or related field; Foundational courses in Child Life/ Hospital Play
- 2 years relevant clinical experience
- Registration and Licensure as Child Life Specialist from the country of origin
- Strong hands-on experience working/volunteering with children and families in a variety of settings (schools, day cares, camps, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Child Life Specialist principles and practices
- Demonstrated ability to apply and integrate knowledge and skills into practice
Qualifications/ Specialisation - as per the client's requirements.
A full job description available upon request.
Benefits- Highly competitive package including a Tax free salary + benefits. Full details of the package will be discussed directly.
Please note the targeted start date for the position is dependent on the current timeline for the project. Likewise, the processing of licensing (if applicable)/ visas etc. also need to be considered. We will advise candidates specifically when we discuss the opportunity.
- Full time
- Job Level
- Qualified (non-manager)
Posted 21 Nov 2016
Closes 19 Dec 2016
This job was posted to: Psychology