Molecular Scientist - Pathology Sciences
Our client is an ultramodern, all-digital academic medical centre specialising in the provision of care for women and children. Based in Qatar, our client will focus on world-class patient care, medical education and biomedical research.
We are recruiting for a Molecular Scientist to work within the Pathology Sciences department.
The Department provides diagnostic laboratory and point-of-care services for affiliated hospitals in Doha, and for referred-in specimens from outside of Qatar. In addition to its clinical service duties, the Department participates in basic and clinical research related to human disease, and provides teaching to medical undergraduates, residents and fellows in partnership with WCMC-Q. The Division of Pathology Sciences within the Department of Pathology specialises in developing and implementing novel, primarily molecular/genetic/bioinformatics, methods to improve, innovate or replace existing diagnostic laboratory assays across all disciplines under the umbrella of Pathology.
The Molecular Scientist reports directly to the Division Chief - Pathology Sciences, and indirectly to the Department Chair - Pathology. The Molecular Scientist represents his or her Division within the Department of Pathology and externally to provide, advance, and promote excellence in the investigation and diagnosis of paediatric and/or maternal disease through novel assay design and development. The Molecular Scientist also assists in the planning, execution and direction of educational and research activities in the Division. The Molecular Scientist will also be responsible for other associated clinical and academic activities as directed by the Division Chief or Department Chair.
Scientific and Technical
- Provides scientific and technical oversight of diagnostic testing by the Pathology Sciences laboratory that may include assays relevant to clinical biochemistry, microbiology and virology, genetics, and anatomical pathology
- Provides scientific and technical oversight of quality assurance and management of those specific areas of the clinical laboratory that provide Pathology Sciences testing
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of clinically-relevant laboratory techniques and advances in laboratory instrumentation
- Assists technical staff with the validation and implementation of new procedures and equipment
- Assists technical staff in troubleshooting problems related to laboratory procedures and diagnostic assays
- Participates in the education of postgraduate trainees in the Department of Pathology and graduate/postgraduate programs, including pathology residency programs
- Participates in informal and formal education in the clinical laboratory setting, seminars, and rounds
- Updates physicians of new developments and trends in Pathology Sciences
- Trains research students and fellows in both the clinical and R&D laboratories
- PhD in Medical Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other related sciences
- 6+ years of post-PhD experience in molecular microbiology, molecular biology or related clinical laboratory discipline
- Specific clinical and technical skill in genetics, digital pathology, bioinformatics, computer sciences and/or novel assay development
- Proficiency in a discipline of pathology
- Knowledge and experience in clinical laboratory methods
- Knowledge and experience with scientific research methods and evaluation of research results
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Qualifications/ Specialisation - as per the client's requirements.
A full job description available upon request.
Benefits- Highly competitive package including a Tax free salary + benefits. Full details of the package will be discussed directly.
Please note the targeted start date for the position is dependent on the current timeline for the project. Likewise, the processing of licensing (if applicable)/ visas etc. also need to be considered. We will advise candidates specifically when we discuss the opportunity.
- Full time
- Job Level
- Qualified (non-manager)
Posted 21 Nov 2016
Closes 19 Dec 2016
This job was posted to: Laboratory